Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Online Poker Tournaments - Disconnect!!!!

Since I decided to start blogging for Gulfcoastpoker.net, I thought I should start playing online poker again. I pretty much stopped playing online in October and just stick to live games. However, since there are many online players out there, and you can find nice sized tournaments, I thought I would get back into it. I traded a friend $80 to transfer me some money on Full Tilt and got started. Since $80 isnt much of a bankroll, especially for tournaments, I started playing Omaha hi/low cash games to build up a small bankroll. After a couple days, I got up to over $300, so I decided to start in on the tournaments.

Tournament 1: Min cashed in the $24+2 multi-rebuy.
Tournament 2: Made it fairly deep in a $69+6 freeze out, but lost with QQ vs TJ
Tournament 3: This was last night in the $150+13, $50K guaranteed at Full Tilt, and the main subject of my blog today. I happened to be tiling my kitchen while playing, so I missed quite a few hands early, and I got my laptop pretty dirty. I started out very strong and built up a nice chip stack and made it as high as 2nd in chips overall. For the first 2.5 hours, I maintained a position somewhere in the top 5 overall. Cards were running over me, and I was using my stack to push people around. Then I get AA under the gun and make a 3X raise. The big blind makes a call with ThJh. The flop is 6h7hJc. He bets about 1/2 the pot, and I raise 3X his bet. He moves all in, and I call. He catches a heart on the river to cut my stack in half.

I managed to rebuild and make it into the money. We are down to 4 tables when my internet connection craps out. I was short stacked and was about to get the BB blind, so I panicked and tried to get it to reconnect. By the time I did, I was under the gun again and down to almost nothing. I went out on my small blind with A2 vs AK. Needless to say, I wanted to throw my computer through the window. I spent 5 hours to go out because of a technical failure. I dont mind losing because of bad luck or bad play, but losing because I cant access the tournament to make a decision feels like the worst beat in poker. I have taken runner runner suckouts better than this.

So keep those modems in good condition and give yourself a backup when big money is on the line.

3 comments:

Bad Beet said...

$300 aint much of a bankroll for the size tournament you played. 5 % of a bankroll is the best formula for a champ.

Gulf Coast Poker said...

Tough break Martin.

Beet brings up an interesting point. Are you limiting yourself to your buy-in and it's profits for online play (ie an online bankroll) or will you reload with portions of your live bankroll?

Martin said...

I agree with both bankroll comments. I really just play around online, and it is just a part of my bankroll. I can always move real bankroll to online bankroll. I just like that type of tournament. It is hard to play for a small payout.