Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New Year, New Me

Once again, I apologize for taking so long to update this blog. I think my new strategy it going to be short and sweet and more often. For some reason I have felt the need to write large posts with lots of content, and that pressure keeps me from updating as often. So, I am going to try this new approach this year and see where it goes.

For the first time in my life, I actually decided to do some New Year's Resolutions. I never did them before because I saw so many people around me make the "promises" to themselves, but they were rarely kept. I didn't really see the significance of that date to make a change in your life. If you need to make a change, just make it. The time frame doesn't really matter. Maybe it was just that the stars aligned in such a way that I needed to make several changes in my life right at the New Year, or I just needed an excuse to hold myself to them. Either way, here they are for all to see. Hopefully, I will not fail in following through with these this year, and 15 days in, I am still going strong.

1. Keep complete and accurate records of my poker play: In the past, I have started and stopped so many times I cant even count them. I generally have stopped when the cards are running bad and picked up again when the cards are running good. HA! This year I plan on keeping it simple and just tracking net profit/loss on cash games and tournaments. So far I have stuck to it and will push through the rough rides to see my true winnings for the year.

2. Keep myself in better physical condition: I know that everyone's NYR is to get into the gym and workout. I joined my gym back in October and have been fairly consistent, but not to the degree I would like. So far I am keeping with the schedule, except for the fact that I have been sick the last three days. Once I kick this cold, it is back to the gym.

3. Don't drink while playing cards: This has been an on and off problem for me. I really enjoy drinking and I really enjoy cards. Put the two together and I have a fantastic time losing all my money. My plan is not to deny this beautiful Reces Peanut Butter Cup all together, but limit my buy in when drinking and playing. I wont say my limit here, but it is definitely a hard and fast limit. So all of you can stop salivating when you see me a little tipsy at the table.

Well, that is it for today. I guess I still made this a little long. ;)

2 comments:

Gulf Coast Poker said...

Number 3 is an important rule for everyone. Alcohol, at first, seems to exagerrate everything. When you are winning the boost to your confidence can mask it's effects as beneficial. Yet, when you are losing you tend to lose more. A beer or two probably doesn't hurt anybody, but when not in moderation alcohol long run only crimps your game. Much harder to get away from hands when you got a nice buzz on. Seems like the drunk guy is always the one making the wrong "hero" call or the wrong push when he should fold. We always see the other guy do it but fail to recognize when we do it.

Martin said...

A-men to that one!
I did slightly break my drinking rule this weekend in New Orleans, but ended up pretty close to even for the trip. all in good fun